Click the link to obtain a PDF version of this announcement.
Founded in 2001, Boston Singers’ Resource (BSR) supports classical singers in Greater Boston and beyond by providing them professional and artistic development opportunities while facilitating connections between singers and the organizations that employ them. BSR offers low-cost memberships which give access to open auditions and workshops, online resources (bostonsingersresource.org), and daily email updates listing events of interest and employment opportunities. Current membership includes over 250 singers and many singer-related organizations, such as choral groups, opera companies, churches, and other music producers. In addition, BSR provides community-building resources available to all.
BSR programs currently include annual or biannual open auditions (pandemic conditions permitting), periodic workshops, occasional recitals, and the Boston Singers’ Relief Fund, which provides grants for singers in difficult financial circumstances.
Governed by a five member Board of Directors, BSR’s current operating budget is approximately $40,000, with approximately 50 percent of revenue from earned revenue and 50 percent from fundraising activities.
The Executive Director (ED) represents BSR to the classical singing community and to supporters of singers; serves as the chief administrator for BSR; and leads in the development and implementation of new initiatives to advance BSR’s mission. The position is a part time employee at 12 hours per week, compensated at $11,760 annually, with 3 weeks of unpaid vacation but no other benefits. The ED currently is supported by four part-time staff, each with time commitments ranging from 1 to 7 hours per week. The ED reports to the Board of Directors.
The Executive Director will
- maintain strong relationships with the classical singing community and all stakeholders
- be responsible for all aspects of BSR’s management, including programing, member services, fundraising, and day-to-day operations, either directly or via supervised staff
- help to develop and implement a strategic vision in partnership with the Board, and recommend new initiatives and activities as appropriate
- communicate regularly with the BSR Board
- provide administrative support for the Boston Singers’ Relief Fund
- develop and support membership growth initiatives
- lead fundraising and development efforts that clearly articulate BSR’s mission, vision, programs, and impacts
- ensure the highest level of programs and services that meet the needs of a diverse community, and support continued implementation of BSR’s Cultural Equity Statement
Qualities of a successful candidate should include the following; however, we will consider excellent candidates with a variety of backgrounds that prepare them for the position.
- Good understanding of the classical vocal arts and of artist needs, and familiarity with the Greater Boston classical singing community
- At least 5 years experience working in the non-profit sector, with management experience preferred, and experience working with and/or managing a non-profit board
- Excellent organization skills, including the ability to set and meet deadlines
- Ability to productively work with others and to effectively manage part-time staff
- Experience working with and/or creating budgets; knowledge of bookkeeping with Quickbooks is helpful
- Fundraising experience and/or grant writing experience
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Intermediate computer knowledge, including familiarity with social networking, website management, and database management
- Dedicated home office space with computer and internet access
Applications & Inquiries
The Executive Director is at the center of BSR, a unique organization that has served our singing community for 20 years. If you believe you would be a good match for BSR, please consider applying even if your skills match some, but not all, of the qualifications listed above. Click here for a full job description. Please reach out with any questions or clarifications about this position or BSR in general. We look forward to hearing from you.
Ready to apply? Submit a letter of interest, resume, and names/contact information for two references (electronic submissions preferred) with a summary of demonstrable accomplishments to email@example.com
Application deadline: October 22, 2021