Listed below are answers to frequently asked questions as well as hints to help you to navigate the website more easily. If you need more help, please contact us.
- Do I have to audition to become a member of Boston Singers' Resource? No! Any individual or organization is welcome to join Boston Singers' Resource as a free or paid member. To learn more about BSR membership levels and benefits, Click here.
- Do I have to become a Boston Singers' Resource member to view the website? No (and yes). Our website offers dozens of informative pages that are free and open to the public. In particular, explore the Programs and Events and Resources sections. Additionally, anyone may sign up for our FREE Vocal Music Calendar, emailed weekly. But some parts of the website are visible to members only, such as the announcements, advanced member search, and audition signup pages (see the member benefits page).
- Do I have to become a Boston Singers' Resource member to post announcements for the membership? No! Not a paid member, anyway—you do need to register for free membership. All free users and paid members can post announcements. The button to post is listed on your dashboard.
- I'm a student. Are there special rates for student memberships? Yes! Any student enrolled at least half-time in a college or university can purchase a membership at the discounted rate of $35. You will be asked to upload proof of enrollment at the time of your purchase. This can be a valid student ID, class schedule, acceptance letter, or other documentation from the registrar.
- I'm logged in, how do I view the auditions and jobs? The latest announcements are on your dashboard; the announcements page is linked under the Resources menu.
- I want to register for BSR auditions but can't access the registration page. Registration is limited to paid members of BSR. If you purchase a membership you will be able to register for upcoming auditions.
- What is the difference between open and select auditions? Any paid member can register for open auditions. Open auditions include written feedback from a panel of adjudicators to help each singer refine their audition technique. Select audition acceptance is based on scores from the open auditions and from recorded submissions. Select auditions are attended by more hiring professionals, and do not include feedback.
- How often are auditions held? BSR holds auditions twice a year, and every fourth audition is a Select Audition. Singers are asked to participate in only one of the three preceding open auditions to be considered for select auditions.
- Who attends open auditions? Anyone who wants to hire singers, including opera producers and directors, orchestral and choral conductors, event planners and composers. Attending as an adjudicator is open to all for a fee; for organizational members, free admission is included in membership.
- Do I need to be a member to participate in workshops? No! Workshops are open to the general public, though BSR members get a discount on the fee.
- I did not receive my "Reset my password" link. What can I do? The most common cause of lost reset password messages is that they are miscategorized as spam. Please tell your email system that messages from firstname.lastname@example.org are OK! How to do this depends on what software you use. If you have a "safe sender" list, add our address to it. Or, it might suffice to add that address to your address book. If taking those actions doesn't help, please email us with the details (including your user name and what program you use for email) and we'll straighten it out.
- How can I get my profile photo on the homepage? All profile photos shown on the homepage display are selected randomly from the photos of paid members. Please make sure you have added a photo to your profile to be considered for homepage rotation.
- How do I get my business or studio listed on one of your resources pages? Under the Resources menu are listings for Products and Services, Performance Organizations, Teachers and Coaches, and Youth and Child resources. Anyone can submit a listing for those pages (although submissions must be approved before appearing). Just use the buttons on each listing page to share your listing in that category. Only resources relevant to classical singing will be approved.
- How can I be published on your blog? BSR regularly features guest posts and would love to hear your pitch! Please only contact us if you have a pitch related to classical singing.
Please feel free to send us your FAQ suggestions for this page. We welcome your feedback!