Applications are now closed for the 2021 Composers' Lab.
Five singers and five composers will be selected for partnerships. Selected composers will create a new set of vocal music, reviewing drafts with their partner to get feedback on their work. Singers will be encouraged to coach their partners on elements of vocal production that affect the ease with which a singer performs a piece as they receive feedback on their performance. All meetings may take place online; partners may schedule in-person meetings if safe to do so.
April 23: Participants notified.
April 26, 6:00 pm : Attend initial cohort gathering and workshop with composer Lori Laitman
April 23-June 1: Meet regularly to collaborate on approx 7-15 minutes of new music for voice and piano.
May 14: Deadline for first draft to singer
May 21: Deadline for singer to learn and review first draft.
May 21-June 1: Additional meetings as needed.
June 1-17: Schedule review/rehearsal of composition with pianist.
June 17, 6:00 pm: Attend Composers’ Lab outdoor concert.
Participants will receive:
- $250 stipend
- Professional recording of new work
- One group workshop with Lori Laitman
- One rehearsal/coaching with pianist Brendon Shapiro.
- Featured promotions on BSR social media and website
Who is a good candidate for the BSR Composers’ Lab? We are seeking a diverse cohort of composers and singers of various levels of experience who:
- communicate well
- are open to learning from others
- have time for an intensive process from April 23-June 1
- feel comfortable participating in an outdoor, in-person performance and one indoor rehearsal (with safety protocols)
- are free April 26 and June 17 at 6 pm.
BSR members will be prioritized in the selection of participants, but all are encouraged to apply. Due to our focus on classical singing, composers should expect to compose for classically trained voices. Please reach out with any questions! Applications are due April 20.
Supported by a grant from the Mass Cultural Council.